Freddie Ljungberg

It’s probably a poor attempt to have some youth players flow through more easily.

Which top manager is going to take the managers job on our limited budget. Better to have a name the fans like in Ljungberg until the end of the season then Steve Bould.

Freddie to replace Unai next year. Watch this space.

Hopefully not. For all the same reasons I didn’t want Arteta.

Why is it a “poor attempt”?

Seems quite sensible to me - a senior coach with good knowledge of our youth team will be ideally placed to advise the manager on who should be given a chance in the first team.

The manager should be really informed on his youth players regardless, but it can’t hurt to have a guy who knows the youngsters really well offering his opinion etc.

1 Like

It’s a bit curious to me, as after watching him for like 20 years in various appearances on tv, in studios, commentating etc. he never came off as particularly… I don’t know. knowledgeable? as in the type of “thinker” of the game. But he is usally a bit quiet and quite boring and obvious when he talks. That doesn’t necessarily mean anything ofc. Maybe similar to how I see Zidane. Could be a great footballing mind still ofc.

1 Like

Sorry don’t mean then Steve Bould.

If a manager doesn’t trust youth players or has no history of developing and giving youngsters chances, a new assistant-manager promoted from the u-23s, is not going to change that.

Well if Emery fails to get the team motivated by the middle of the season then he’s facing the exit and the club will need a holding manager until one can be found. Ljungberg at least is a name the fans would accept for the holding period.

Totally agree. I hope he’s a better coach then pundit :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Sounds like Freddie has a positive impact… but is it normal that the manager doesn’t talk to the youth players? Sounds as if Freddie has to fight their corner. There was a player recently (Robbie Burton I think?) who Emery admitted to not even knowing. I don’t know much about the kid either, but it’s not my job to know.

3 Likes

The club really need to sort Emery English out.
Listening and reading his comments are so confusing that they lose substance and a lot of cases interest.
He’s dodged a few bullets on that but shouldn’t next season.
Doesn’t help him or club promote any real image which is needed more than ever.

Interesting to see how we’ve transitioned to the head coach model.

Emery’s position is extremely replaceable looking at we’ve set things up now

1 Like

The inevitable dumpster fire that is this season and subsequent new head coach and Saliba in 20/21 cannot come soon enough.

Why is this season going to be an inevitable dumpster fire? Why do we assume Emery hasn’t evaluated and acted on what went wrong? Even without new players.

Because it takes a leap of faith to. believe in that squad.

2 Likes

Unless Emery actually fails at his job, he should know more about this squad and extract more quality out of it. The availablity of Bellerin and Holding surely will make a difference. Leno/Torreira/Guendouzi better adjusted. Logic says we should perform better next season.

1 Like

Emery is like “who are all these little boys running about” and Freddie has to come in and explain

2 Likes

It’s a busted squad and needs players ousted and replaced to improve for me. We ended the season on a really big fail and to see this lack of quality being absorbed for a fresh challenge isn’t encouraging.

Pretty sure the same thing happened under Wenger regarding Iwobi. He knew nothing about him either, or rather, didn’t rate him enough that the club nearly got rid of him a couple of times. It was only until he made big waves one season, 13/14 or 14/15? that Wenger took notice.

I’m not sure how much Emery immerses himself in the youth set up (I imagine the Head Coach role is highly specific on focusing on what’s in front of him) but I know Wenger used to mosy on over to the youth games a couple pitches away after training was finished with the first team.

1 Like