Unai Emery

What would it take for people to realize we are on a huge downward slide over the past several seasons and we need to stabilize this sinking ship not hand the keys to the Ferrari to a 16 year old?

WE ARE A FAILING CLUB. we’ve gone from top 4 every year to 7th place and getting punked in the Europa league. We just need someone to tide this thing over for a few years and not fall down to 12th or worse in the league. This is no time for some grand optimistic and novel adventure. We could use a little pessimism in the team.

8 Likes

Sorry but you are doing a Luca here.

We would not go worse than 6th

1 Like

The more I read about the guy the more I like that we’ve chosen him.

I’m particularly impressed with the tactical preparation and compositions of his sides.
Wonder how quick, if at all, he can get this side pressing and counter attacking effectively. Hope the players get on board early.

I’m really interested to see what he does with the midfield tbh but most of all I think Mustafi will develop into an asset under him.

4 Likes

But we actually could.

Even if everything went exactly to plan, Arteta could have got us in the top 4 max. and that would have been considered as a success, but if things didn’t go to plan we would do a United 13-14 or Chelsea 15-16 and dropped 5-6 places from where we currently are. If the likes of Everton, Leicester can string together decent form under new management they could easily overtake us.
With Emre you get a manager who has a record of punching above his weight, operating on a limited budget and bring organisation to the play, especially on the defensive side.
He is the perfect transition manager one could have asked for given the circumstances of the squad likely remaining the same and us not pumping 100+ million on new players.

Valencia had the decline of their best players like Vicente and lost Aimar and Mista before Emery joined and he had to sell Villa, Silva and Mista after managing them and still managed to get top 3 after that without any investment.

Without any investment is an exaggeration. Or is it only investment if you have a negative net spending from your perspective?

Anyway. If he wins the Europa League he has done his job. I have zero expectations for our Premier League season under Emery.

Negative net spend does mean zero investment, but it was very low for the period and they were going into free fall.

As for judging him on the Europa only, why? The board won’t be, the judgement is whether he can make top 4 or not. If he can’t get top 4 in the next 2 years he’ll be sacked. Just because he’s won the Europa 3 times doesn’t mean that’s the sum of his abilities.

Yes, it is. I give him a better chance of getting Europa League victory than top four in the Premier League.

1 Like

Arsenal finishing above two of Pep’s City, Klopp’s Liverpool, Sarri’s Chelsea, Poch’s Tottenham, and Utd under Emery :joy:

Some of you really have wild imaginations.

Apparantly people actually have expectations of Arsenal under Emery.

1 Like

I would have liked Arteta because of the unknown and his time at Arsenal in the past, but I’m pleased with the guy we’re getting. I only watch english football but this guy has won a few trophies in the last few years so that surely is a good thing?

How about the Wenger years then ,
Finishing above Man City , Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham but finishing below Leicester?
What a fucking knob you are .

1 Like

Yeh, there was a reason I put the managers’ names there…

How about 1994 Blackburn while we’re at it, they finished above all of those clubs.

Well yeah its kinda interesting. Life after Wenger with a bit of structuring. Hardly aiming for the moon to challenge for top four.

2 Likes

What a loser you are .
You’ll enjoy supporting Fulham or Reading.

4 Likes

Then why the fuck you interviewed him in the very first beginning, if “experience” is so fucking important???

Seems like Arsenal management is the party who is lack of experience.

1 Like

Tell that to Chavski, lots of big teams have dropped to 6th or worse nearly midtable. Manu are a massive club so are Liverpool, both have tasted near midtable and Liverpool up until recently were regulaarly out of the CL spots and sometimes out of europe even with a decent squad.

Anyone else noticed he is about the only manager we wouldnt have to pay any compensation for?

so? And what would Arteta cost us in compensation piss all in the grand scheme of things, talk about clutching at straws.

3 Likes

Yeah, an inexperienced manager is surely better than a manager who has a good experience and has shown he can work well with not big teams.