Arsène Wenger

Did someone say Eddie?

1 Like

Hopefully Wenger leaving is the next move.

1 Like

This sounds familiar lol

I wonder how much of what has happened in the last few weeks is actually down to Wenger?

There has been more changes to the squad and first team in recent weeks than the last few seasons.

Is this proactive behaviour something Wenger has planned or has someone had a word with him?

Let’s face it, all this activity is very unlike Wenger.

Well he’s never had as much money as he has now and he’s never been in the position where his two best players are leaving and he has the cash to replace them.

I think Wenger ultimately has the power to say we play a one striker formation and Lacazette is the man and we don’t need Auba, so can only assume all this is going ahead with Wenger’s full support and blessing.

Honestly this deal feels the same as every other big deal. His position at his club is in doubt, he’s for sale and his wages aren’t outrageous, just like Cech, Sanchez, Ozil. I think given the chance he’d make this move any time it was an easy possibility so I think this is very Wenger except maybe that he’s a year or two older than I’d expect.

My biggest question would be his participation in the exits of Walcott, Coquelin and now maybe Giroud.

1 Like

It’s all Wenger, no doubt.

Proactive behaviour would have been selling Alexis off in the summer, Not spending £50m on back up striker and pushing harder for Auba.

It’s pretty clear Auba wasn’t on his radar in the summer and he was hoping the Alexis situation would pan out. It hasn’t and he’s clearly very desperate to justify his next contract. So enter Aubameyang, who will just be papering over the cracks at this point so we can outscore teams to 4th place.

Desperate short term move

3 Likes

I agree with this. However, given how crap the football has been of late, I’ll take some entertaining 4-3 games at this point rather than watch the team struggle to produce chances against lower table sides.

6 Likes

Thats because the introduction of Sven and his Dortmund connection allowed this move to happen.

1 Like

Doubt Sven or his ‘connections’ were responsible for allowing this move to happen.

You’re giving the guy way too much credit.

Considering the distinct lack of interest in Aubameyang from other top clubs and the fact he’s unsettled. This is a move Arsenal could have very well pulled off without Sven at the club tbh

1 Like

This is why I’m not sure it’s all Wenger’s doing.
With Chamberlain, Gabriel, Walcott, Coquelin, Szczesney, Sanchez and possibly Giroud, I can’t remember so many players, who have played in the first team, all leaving in the same season.

Exactly.
I’ve never seen Wenger this desperate, and buy so many short term fixes, which are clearly happening to justify his position.

2 . He bought 2 players.

3 Likes

Fuck my life you’ve spent 5 to 6 years complaining that we haven’t signed a world class striker to replace van Persie and now we have you are still finding fault.

There really is no pleasing some people :laughing:

6 Likes

I’m not complaining at all about the signings.
I just want to find out who is doing them, or who is making Wenger do them, and who ever it is, can they keep on doing it.

Uhh, hi!?

You’re literally saying Auba and Mkhi are just short term fixes.

Like, who the hell else is there for us to buy that would be up for sale and willing to come here at this point in time?!

1 Like

This is what I mean. Don’t know if it is for the better or for the worse, but there is now a huge change in our team.

https://twitter.com/Reunewal/status/958386355524046848

2 Likes

I think it’s fantastic.

It’s clear out we’ve been begging for for years!

If we can sign Ozil to a new contract and then maybe bring in some good additions in the summer, we should be in a good place.

We’re looking dreadfully thin on the bench though.

2 Likes

About time, tbh. We have been calling for it for years.

They’re both nearly thirty and I’ve never known Wenger buy two players at this age before apart from the shambles after selling Cesc and Nasri, where he also went into panic mode.

I’m all for buying them, as they are two of my favourite players, but they weren’t planned and are both panic buys.
But if that’s what it takes Wenger to actually get some business done, then keep doing it.

Mkhi was a shrewd business move and making the best of a shite situation in regards to Sanchez.

We could easily have gotten £30m for him, but what use would that be in the long run?

Auba is a world class striker who became available and we seized the opportunity to sign him in a market notoriously short on top strikers and ridiculously expensive.

Robin Van Persie and Luis Suarez were both the same age as Auba when they left for United and Barcelona, does that make them shit signings?

I don’t think a 28 year old striker is too old or short term. There are no top class/world class 23 year old strikers who are proven and banging in the goals that we could afford or are even for sale.

This age thing in football has gotten absolutely ridiculous. It’s not like on every footballer’s 30th birthday a magical football fairy comes down and takes away all of their footballing ability. Plenty of great footballers played great football well into their thirties.

7 Likes