Arsène Wenger

Arguably. Right now France struggle with what we have for years; strong, definite tactics. More (attacking) talent in the squad is not going to be a fix for that.

But I think they have only had one foreign manager since they exist. So his passport gives him a head start in this case, if they would refuse to appoint a foreigner. There aren’t many proper French managers out there. If at all. Rudi Garcia maybe.

1 Like

Don’t forget Giroud and Lacazette upfront :grinning:

I watched the presser

I took it that he thought fans were wrong to express their discontent

Cheek as I say

I watched it and drew my own conclusions

Don’t read any papers, fuck you

2 Likes

I think that the fact that Wenger is saying the lack of unity by the supporters is one of the reasons he is leaving proves what a control freak he is.

Very rarely, in all the time he has been at the club, was he criticised by the owner or the board, and he expected the supporters to do the same.
But after seasons of seeing the same mistakes, almost non existent transfer windows and falling behind our rivals, the supporters started to say they have had enough.

There aren’t many clubs where supporters would support a manager for as long as we did, while watching all our rivals overtake us.

He only has one person to blame for the mess he got us in, and in all the interviews I’ve seen him in, he has never taken responsibility.
It was always someone else fault, and even after he made the announcement, it still is.

2 Likes

Just listening to the 606 podcast from last night’s show.

We’ve found the only Arsenal fan in the world who wanted Wenger to stay. When he started talking, I honestly thought he was being sarcastic. But as he went on, it became clear that he was deadly serious

“Another 5 or 6 years left in him” :rofl:

https://twitter.com/bbc606/status/988118923341127680

I gave you a like for the post because there were some great lines in there and I enjoyed 90% of it, but I am really tired of this rather lazy line that people have been rolling out. Football is always about more than the bottom line, people that are saying football has become heartless and the fun has been taken out of it probably just don’t like football itself that much. Sport, like any business or any art form, evolves with the times. It was never going to not do so. It is not perfect but neither was it when Arsène was in his glory era, but football is still football and it is still the most beautiful sport–as beautiful as it ever was–and a top manager will still find out ways to succeed in it, so I think people really need to think a little before rolling out what’s becoming a rather trite line, which for all its vague romanticism is actually forgetting to be romantic about the thing that’s at the centre of all this–football.

Definitely, in the lower level of managing at international level he’d not be a bad manager. Pretty confident he could still manage to be an upgrade on the dire Deschamps and Southgate. England or France are the teams I’d like to see him manage.

1 Like

It’s been strange this season, because it is the first I can remember for ages where we haven’t had an injury crisis, and it has been arguably the worst season we have had.

1 Like

You heard what you wanted to hear.

1 Like

Ive gone over that statement a few times today. Sorry but I think its just another example of him playing the martyr again.
Just like the turning down the world to stay here. Now he saying its about our tarnished image. Not buying it people.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/EPLBible/status/988380760376860674

3 Likes

Would really love to see him manage a national team. He would be perfect for it.

Oh look @TheSpecialCnut , here’s someone with actual inside knowledge in professional football.

I’m not dismissing what Dein has said because I’ve got no good reason to, but I did stop for a second and consider the possibility that he is just saying something nice about a dear friend of his. If I was publicly asked about a friend’s employment prospects I wouldn’t turnaround and be like, “yeah he was once in demand but let’s be honest he’s a bit past it now, nobody wants him anymore”

So I guess what I’m saying is, what else could Dein possibly say in this situation?

3 Likes

He’s currently a shit manager, and most of those links were reported pre-2007.

2 Likes

The bit about the star falling out the sky. . .ffs

Says who? Your whatsapp group posters?

And why would United want Wenger while Ferguson was still there?

Ferguson was close at stepping away from United in 2002.

Ferguson announced his retirement in 2002 before changing his mind.