Unai Emery

Yeah, they did.

Could be, I haven’t checked, spoke from memory.

Ahh ok thanks @SDGooner and @Gladiator.

I’ll put my pitch fork away then :wink:

You are right, I spent about a nanosecond thinking over that post. Still, more effort, time, logic and common sense went into it than 3/4 of what you’ve said on here in the past 24h.

2 Likes

Could say the same, with a lot more accuracy, about you and a few others.

The thing is the EL is arguably harder to win now then it was when Emery did it. Don’t get me wrong three wins ain’t bad but look at who they beat. That includes an average Liverpool team in one final.

Also consider the fact he only won the league in France once PSG and the rest ravaged Monaco of their best players.

Some of us have good reason to question whether he is right for this job. Believe me I will be over the moon if he proves me wrong and will be one of the first to admit that.

@AbouCuellar im getting tired of reading your crap posts. Lay of the meth pipe or go support Spuds pls.

7 Likes

@SRCJJ going on a like spree cause he knows I’ve been giving him the run over for the last few weeks and because he just tried to come at me in the Wenger thread by saying only things that I actually agreed with and didn’t contradict my post in the least :joy:

Lol AC is a personality. Forum would be worse without him

I was talking about the season when we lost to Galatasaray in the final, in that season’s UEFA Cup there was no team of Atletico’s quality in our way. That’s the one time your scenario actually existed in his time with us, and we didn’t win it.

I know you didn’t support us then so fair enough if that season didn’t come to mind before you shat out that snarky post lol

2 Likes

I did support Arsenal then, and you’re really clutching at straws going back to 2000 when the competition wasn’t even the same format, which is why it didn’t occur to me, because I didn’t think you would clutch so hard.

With you on this one. Although most years there’s at least one other top side that comes into the competition. We would have blitzed anyone below Atletico’s level.

Not really, Atléti is the best team that has fallen in in recent years. Crap Chelsea squads or Mourinho United squads do not begin to compare.

It’s not clutching at all. You said that we know he could do it. I’m saying that the situation has only happened once before, and we didn’t win it. Other than that we have no data to go on. I’ve watched enough of Arsenal in recent years to know that we have a rather brilliant ability to bottle and fuck shit up. After losing to FUCKING BIRMINGHAM in a final I’m not taking any single match for granted.

So in all honesty, I can forgive accusations of pedantry because I know I can be like that, but in this instance I’m not being pedantic. I genuinely do not know that Arsène Wenger would have been capable of winning us the EL. You’d obviously expect us to stand a great chance but by the end I wouldn’t have had absolute faith in Wenger’s ability to do that.

Edit: and that was a genuine mistake, I must have confused with someone else saying they started supporting us later than that. I don’t see why the change in format is really relevant here too while I’m at it.

1 Like

Fair. But the point is, if the current incarnation of Wenger can almost get us to the final of the competition in an anomalous year where a top club drops in, we shouldn’t exactly be hiring a manager to win this competition, should we? Would seem to be setting the bar extremely, extremely low. :grimacing:

He obviously isn’t hired to just win this though, why are you speaking as if that’ll be the only thing the board want from him? Lol

Because that’s how other people have been speaking.

This is the post that started the conversation…

If anyone actually thinks he’s going to make progress in the league, anyways, they’re in for a nasty surprise.

We’ll have this thread to to 5k posts by the time pre season rolls about. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I don’t really see that as equating to someone saying the reason for appointing him is to win that competition. You could support appointing him because you think that he could get us into the top four and win us the Europa League, they aren’t mutually exclusive. If he won the EL in his first season and improved us, you could be super satisfied and then hope that he kicks on in the second and achieves the other thing you hoped for (finishing in the top four). If he then failed you wouldn’t be so super satisfied.

1 Like

Don’t worry, my contribution will drastically diminish once my anger at this appointment wears off and my brief three week reprieve from knowing Arsenal is hopeless ends and returns to where it was, as that’s what the club has basically done with this appointment.

As @A.F. said, it’s really not worth wasting many words on this idea-less joker, but then I’ve always been much less restrained than A.F.

Indeed, but then I would certainly laugh in the face of anyone who thought he could get us into the top four.