Unai Emery

That reminds me, could we possibly get a Bendtner emoji? I think that could really be banter.

1 Like

Excellent news
Let’s get behind Emery .
COYG
A new chapter and a new era .

4 Likes

Glad this is finally official! Now we can hopefully start seeing some moves of ins-and-outs and focus solely on the team. I have to say I’m rather excited now!

4 Likes

I get that last season was awful. My point is that even a decent coach will get a lot more from our current squad. I think Emery will at the least achieve this which is why I am a little bit happy. We aren’t going to be as shit as the year gone by - yay!

I’m not happy that he is going to be given a long term deal - he needs to prove himself worthy of that before we invest that kind of faith into him.

I was hoping for a 2 year deal, see where we are and what other managers are available, and then we can move on from there.

My minimum expectation is that we are challenging strongly for top 4 and next season is a failure if we don’t achieve this. Our current squad + a couple of astute signings is capable of achieving that and anything less will be a big disappointment.

We are seeking progress following a serious decline under Wenger. I’m not expecting miracles and basically no manager out there would be able to achieve more than top 4 for us next season given our budget etc. Arteta, Jardim, Allegri - all of these managers are going to be measured by top 4 and that is probably the limit of our league aspirations next season. Losing out on your preferred choice of manager isn’t the end of the world when you accept our ambition next season is progress / stability and not incredible football / unrealistic trophies.

5 Likes

1 Like
5 Likes

Has the length of his deal been confirmed yet?

There’s a press conference this afternoon, so maybe we’ll learn more then

Three years I read on several reports.

Why because he succeeding in winning the league with the best young talents in Europe? LVG won the CL and numerous league titles with the best young talents in Europe too. Both had world class individual talent.

Some saying 4 years, some saying 3.

That they haven’t announced it makes it sound like bad news.

But a long term contract would be so stupid.

In any case, Welcome Unai!

Hope we see the Sevilla and Valencia Unai and not the Spartak and one, and PSG once to a certain extent.

Because it seems Emery is being held to a standard here that no other manager in the world has maintained . It’s laughable to consider 87 and 93 points back to back a failure and to state it is makes every manager in world football a failure. That is my point

2 Likes

With the players at his disposal in attack and with a few decent signings, as well as sorting out the least organised defence in the PL, he should be able to do a bit better than sixth place.

He also knows how to win European cup competitions which is something Wenger couldn’t do.

He wouldn’t have been my first choice, or many other supporters first choice either, but he is at least a competent manager with experience of handling top players.

Although I still want to know why he was only considered for the job after lengthy negotiations with Arteta, who appeared to be our first choice.

The chain of events leading to the appointment of Emery is truly bizarre and would indicate that the decision makers at the club are just like Wenger, reactionary and without real direction.

1 Like

Seems obvious to me. Both had interviews and Emery impressed more than Arteta.

2 Likes

Yess welcome Unai image

2 Likes

Just Arsenal really. That info never gets released.

2 Likes

I can see that, but one is totally inexperienced as a manager and the other is considered a good experienced manager at the top level.
So what kind of planning is that by Gazidis, or whoever drew up a short list?

To quote @Phoebica, who wrote one of the funniest lines to describe this situation: "Oh they’re out of Chicken? I’ll get some Fruit Pastilles instead.”

We are in an unprecedented period of uncertainty. Well perhaps not unprecedented, but we certainly find ourselves in a position that hasn’t been experienced for more than 20 years.

The club’s short-term goals will be stability and realistic progress. Without a doubt, the metric of success for next season will be getting Champions League football. This will be achieved by either breaking back into the top 4 or by winning the Europa League.

Can Emery achieve our goal of getting back into the Champions League? Yes.

Has Emery shown that he can work within a shared power structure? Yes.

Has Emery shown he can work on a limited budget? Yes.

On balance, would he be more likely to achieve our short-term goals than Arteta? Yes.

He’s not the Hollywood manager we all wanted but he is a sensible choice and can oversee the club as it rebuilds. Wenger has fucked us by leaving an ageing squad behind and no manager would have been able to turn us into title contenders next season. There are too many flaws across the squad. It doesn’t matter if it was Arteta or Jardim or Simeone or whoever.

We are therefore stuck with trying to make as much realistic progress as possible - we are limited by the current squad and budget.

Emery is a capable choice (not the first choice by any stretch) to steer us towards those short-term goals. Once these have been achieved, I hope we re-evaluate our position and see what other managers are out there and then try to build further. We do need a younger manager who has the vision for a long-term project, but there isn’t a suitable candidate for that right now. Arteta is not that guy. I don’t think we were able to attract the right candidates like Jardim, Nagelsmann etc. So we have done the sensible thing imo. Disappointing for some, as has been made abundantly clear in this thread, but hardly cause for rioting / hysteria.

We’re going to be better next season people, I can get on board with that shit as a starting point for the future.

18 Likes

Good planning.

Are you going to finish that sentence? :grin:

I expect some basic competency now, and hopefully better performances in big games.

Although I hear his record in them wasn’t great in Spain.